Effectively managing our time can help us improve our career. Furthermore, it helps us every day from managing our work stress to accomplishing our goals and advancing our position as well.
In the following article, we will learn about how to manage our time effectively. Also, how to use this skill in order to excel in our career.
What are time management skills?
What time Management is? Basically, time management is a process to take control of our time. It helps us in increasing focus and hence efficacy.
Time management skills require
- Goal Setting- Goal setting requires setting the goals from general to specific. Well formed goals are easier to achieve and it provides a sense of achievement.
- Planning- Planning requires one to ponder upon all the activities which need to be done in order to achieve what you want.
- Prioritization- Prioritization is division of the task on the basis of its importance and urgency.
- Organization- Organization means to make a to-do list at the start of the day or week.
- Stress Management Skills- Stress management skills help to deal with the stress produced on the time of huge demand. And so, it helps to function effectively by dealing with the stress and being on time, by managing the demands.
Time Management Skills as a need of time
You might want to manage your time effectively in order to write and assignment, or to complete any project you might be working on. However, time management tricks and skills can also be used in order to make your day/week productive, to learn a new skill and utilize your time beneficially. Also, as you have a great deal of free time now-a-days because of vacations due to Pandemic. You can do free course to make the best use of your time.
Here are some free Google online courses. You might want to have a look on:
Let’s discuss each step in Time management skill in detail:
Goal setting requires setting the goals from general to specific. Well formed goals are easier to achieve and it provides a sense of achievement. This is the first step to start your time management routine i.e., to set your clear goals. You need to check what your end results need to be. What you want to achieve by the end of a specific time.
You can set your goals according to your liking. Your goal can either be to submit a project by the time, to learn a new skill, or to best an already one. After this, you will proceed on to your next steps.
Planning requires one to ponder upon all the activities which need to be done in order to achieve what you want. It is the most basic part of time management. Effective time management skills can help you in sticking to your schedule. Moreover, it helps you figure out what are the steps to accomplish a goal. Hence resulting into reduced risk of failure.
Firstly, you need to contemplate what your time scale is. Secondly, make a rough sketch in your mind about what you need to do in order to achieve your specific goal. Thirdly, write it up on a small diary in a rough form. Finally, make sure nothing is left and all steps are on the paper.
Prioritization is division of the task on the basis of its importance and urgency. Prioritizing will help you in figuring out what is most important thing to do and which cannot be eliminated. So that, even if you have shortage of time, you can manage to complete it before deadline.
After rough planning and sketching, jot down the steps in order of prioritization. First you need to do the important things and then moving on to less important. It can also help you in choosing the best among two. If you’re confused, it can take you more time to do a step and you might lose.
Organization means to make a to-do list at the start of the day or week. Staying organized helps you reduce the clutter and unnecessary things. You can figure out what is inescapable and what not.
It can include:
- Making a proper up-to-date calendar to check when a thing needs to be done.
- Placing your documents at the right place to find them easily when needed.
- Cleaning the work area to remove distracting materials which might divert your attention later on.
- Making Good and neat notes about what to do and how to do it.
- Organize material for each step which you’ll have to do later on.
5.Stress Management Skills
Stress management skills help to deal with the stress produced on the time of huge demand. And so, it helps to function effectively by dealing with the stress and being on time, by managing the demands.
You should take care of your mental health, while managing your time. You should keep yourself motivated to do the work. Remember that giving up is not a solution in any condition.
You can manage stress by simple steps:
- Treat yourself after accomplishing a stressing step.
- Give yourself small breaks to refresh your mind.
- Do relaxation exercises.
- Have a positive self talk. “You can do it!”
Learning to manage your time is a valuable asset. It can help you become a better employee, a better boss and a better person.
To improve the management skills you can:
- Set effective, specific, achievable, measurable, relevant and time-based goals.
- Manage a good up-to-date calendar.
- Set Priorities.
Hope this article will help you out in this. Looking forward to your suggestions and reviews!